Skip to content

Turkey: At least 28 dead and 61 wounded in an attack in Ankara

The car bomb that targeted Wednesday night of army vehicles in the center of the Turkish metropolis murdered at least 28 people and wounded 61 others, said the spokesman of the government. “This cowardly terrorist attack killed 28 people. 61 people were injured,” said at a press conference the spokesman, Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus, promising that the government would “shed light” on attack. “The perpetrators of this attack will be found,” he assured. A previous review provided by the governor of the Turkish capital earlier in the evening was 18 dead and 45 wounded. The Turkish news channels showed images of raging fire that has engulfed military vehicles after the very explosion, heard several kilometers away.

Update: Turkey blames YPG 

Numan Kurtulmuş declined the chance to identify or name the perpetrators of the attack, which occurred in the heart of the megalopolis of more than 5 million inhabitants. “We do not have any information about those responsible for this attack,” he said. “This attack was clearly aimed our nation,” said Numan Kurtulmus, “Turkey has never given in to terror and never give in.” The latter also said that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan canceled a working visit to Azerbaijan scheduled for Thursday due to the attack. Shortly before, his Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu had also canceled a planned trip to Brussels to discuss the migration crisis with leaders of the European Union.

Erdogan replies

the Turkish Islamic-conservative President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed on Wednesday to fight back. “Let it be known that Turkey will not hesitate to use anytime, anywhere and on any occasion its right to self-defense, “said the Turkish president in a statement released by his press service. President Francois Hollande has meanwhile denounced Wednesday the “heinous attack” of Ankara, in a statement released by the Elysee. “The president condemns the horrific attack that left many victims in Ankara tonight” and “address to the Turkish authorities and the Turkish people’s support and its solidarity to this new trial.” In parallel, Washington condemns Ankara strongly the attack against its Turkish ally. “The United States firmly condemns the terrorist attack against Turkish military personnel and civilians today in Ankara,” said in a statement Mark Toner, spokesman for the State Department. “We offer our condolences to the families of those killed and wish a speedy recovery to the injured. We reaffirm our strong partnership with Turkey, our ally within NATO, to fight the terrorist threat that we share,” he -t he added.

Turkey on the alert

Turkey is on the alert since the happening of a series of bombings that have targeted its territory since last summer, all awarded by the Turkish authorities jihadist group Islamic State (EI). The deadliest, on October 10, had murdered 103 men in front of the principal train station of Ankara while they gathered to cooperate in a demonstration. On January 16, another suicide bomber, also assigned to EI by the Turkish government had targeted a group of German travelers in the tourist district of Sultanahmet in Istanbul, killing ten of them.

Since last summer, Turkey is also concerned by the resumption of the Kurdish conflict. Violent clashes between daily security forces supporters of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (A.K.A. PKK) in the South East of the country mainly Kurdish. The PKK regularly conducts attacks against military convoys. On 23 December, a group close to the PKK had also fired mortar shells on the tarmac of the Sabiha Gokcen airport in Istanbul, killing one person and wounding another.